Click here to access it.
On December 27, 2014, the game was changed to Version 2.0, now known as Murder Mystery 2. The game became the most visited game in February 2017, surpassing 500M visits. In July 2017, MeepCity overtook the game in visits.
A server holds up to 12 players, with 1 murderer, 1 sheriff, and 10 innocent at-most. The game features three modes: Casual, Hardcore, and Assassin. These modes can be switched at any time by the user.
The sheriff is the only player that spawns with a gun, which they can use to protect the innocents. If the sheriff is killed (either by shooting an innocent or getting killed by the murderer), the gun will drop, allowing any innocent to pick it up. Sheriffs gain XP for killing the murderer. It will increase the XP depending on how many innocents they successfully protect.
The innocents are unarmed and cannot harm the other players. Their purpose is to aid the sheriff by witnessing murders to figure out who the murderer is. If the gun is dropped by a killed sheriff, an innocent can pick it up, becoming the "hero" if they succeed in shooting the murderer. Innocents gain XP depending with the activity of the player such as the time survival and making their coin bag full, and the hero gets the same XP with the innocents with a increase of winning the round, multiplying after each hero.
The murderer is the only player with a knife, which can be used to kill the innocents and the sheriff. They must stealthily kill all the innocents and the sheriff before time runs out. The murderer gets also the same with the others with a increase of winning the round and the number of eliminations.
Weapons play an integral role for both murderers and sheriffs. Murderers wield throwable knives, whereas sheriffs are equipped with a gun. Both roles are able to buy different weapon designs (also called "skins") in the shop, or they can craft their own designs. You can now rarely craft, unless you salvage knives and guns.
All players carry both a knife and a gun, but only the sheriff and the murderer can equip them.
The weapons can be decorated with special effects and death abilities, but they are merely aesthetic and do not affect gameplay.
Maps that have been in Murder Mystery 2, which players can vote for during intermissions.
|Office||This map is a small office map, due to the size, many players vote for it. The reasoning is because players stay in the main room, where it is most populated and the murderer will easily be caught if she/he attempts to kill anyone in the room.This map has since been discontinued.|
|Officev2||This map resembles much like the first version of the Office in terms of the layout and area. However, many things have changed. For instance, there are no windows on this map, the glass door at the lobby is replaced by two elevators and the typewriters in the main Office have been replaced with more modern computers. Nevertheless, it's still a popular map.|
|Officev3||This map is similar to the second version though this map has golden walls instead of grey walls and this map is slightly expanded. A popular hiding feature in this map is "Zyleak's hole," a small hole underneath the map. Unfortunately removed or being blocked when R15 came in late 2018|
|Italy||Italy resembles a small ancient Western town. There used to be a glitch where people can stack and stand in an invisible brick above the roof at the gathering point. This is a bug that has existed since he added the invisible walls on the roofs of Italy (also introduced at the shops leading to the back alley). It has since been fixed. This map has since been discontinued when MM2 came out. (get it? it means when Murder Mystery was to have huge changes that time!)|
|Terraria||Terraria is a medieval like course, with two castles and a lake in between. In both castles there is a sky house and if you jump off the sky house at a certain place, you will exploit a glitch that lets you land on a tree. This is commonly used however and isn't really a hiding spot. This map has been discontinued when MM2 came out.|
|Haunted House||This map is an exact copy of Shedletsky's Haunted House. This map is very big with many dark areas and many hidden corners. Because of its large size, most of the time the murderer are unable to win on this map. Possibly due to its large size and given about the complaints of this map, this map was removed. This map has since been discontinued when MM2 came out.|
|Lab||A controversial map in Murder Mystery 2, only if playing as murderer, as it has many doors, rooms, and 4 teleporters. It has a scanner that identifies if she/he is the murderer or not. This map has since been discontinued in 2014.|
|Labv2||This map is somewhat similar to The Lab in terms of the layout, but this map has been changed drastically. For instance, there is a computer lab and two storage rooms combined with a room with a fake ceiling that allows players to hide on top of the lamps. However, due to its large size, murderers usually will strike early in this map. This map has since been discontinued in 2019..|
|Abandoned Mine||Somewhat the "first" Mineshaft map. Its also has the similar concept of Mineshaft but earlier back then. This map has been discontinued.|
|Mineshaft||The cave-themed map in Murder Mystery. It is a small-sized map. Most areas in this map are very dark. There are many hiding places in the map and there is an Easter Egg where you can see the map builder outside. This map has since been discontinued.|
|Mineshaftv2||(This map is not yet in the game. If you see this, it means the description of the map will get updated and this message will be removed after it has released. We just spared a space.) This map is a remake of Mineshaft. But more Rthro-friendly. It has been leaked around JD's videos.|
|Hotel||This map is pretty popular and it is completely lit up unlike the first and there is also a theater added. There is also a hiding spot under the stairs behind some boxes. There is a glitch where players can spawn on top of the map, where they often tease the murderer by standing on the glass where the murderer can see them, but not get them. This map has since been discontinued in 2019.|
|Hotelv2||It is a remake of the first Hotel Map, but it had a HUGE change which are. Theater is at the first floor, An elevator was added, the Cafeteria was moved at the third floor, Bushes based on the map Bank 2 were added, a plank above the fountain with a truss where you can climb and easily escape the Murderer and more rooms were added. It had a large amount of Hiding spots. That Innocents sometimes win.|
|Ship||It is obvious from this name that the game is played on board a Cargo Ship. It is a small cargo ship consisting of an upper deck with loads of crates and a lower deck with some crates and a bedroom for the crew to sleep in. This map somehow floats in mid-air and was the only map that cannot protect you from falling off the map up until Version 0.6.0a. You can still fall off the stern (back) of the ship. This has since been fixed. This map has since been discontinued because of the easy way to glitch out.|
|Hospital||This map takes place in a rather small Hospital. It consists of several medical wards, an operating room, a help desk, a waiting area and 2 bathrooms resembling the Toilets from the Office and Hotel Maps. There is an Easter Egg whereby in the operating room, Loleris can be seen lying dead on the operating table.This map has since been discontinued in 2017. However this map is brought back to the game.|
|Hospitalv2||A new version of the hospital map. This map has since been discontinued in 2019, and got Replaced by Hospital III|
|Hospitalv3||It is a remake of the old Hospitalv2 but it got a little bit larger so inncoents can easily escape. Bushes were added that was based on the bushes at Bankv2. There is a Easter Egg where Thexz is injured and a Doctor holding a skateboard, this Easter Egg was based on a true story.|
|House||As the name suggests, the map resembles a typical cottage in the Western countries. There is even a basement whereby players can access through an air vent near a bedroom. Due to its darkness, murderers most likely will strike there first in this map and that's why the map is discontinued. This map has since been discontinued.|
|Housev2||This map is small but popular. This map has many hiding spots, including one behind a TV. The House map is the only map that doesn't have like a version 2 onthe name of it like "House II" and whatsoever.|
|Mansion||A small map that consists of 2 bathrooms, a lounge, a possible closet, a dumpster, a small computer lab, and a dining room. The mansion seems to be owned by either Nikilis or Loleris. It's possible to hide behind the dumpster, on top of the ceiling lights in the lounge, and behind some doors. This map has since been discontinued in 2017, and a remake came to replace this.|
|Mansionv2||A remake of the old Mansion map that has many hallways.|
|Mil-Base||A large map with a singular vent and a hidden spot. There is one hallway that leads to a dark room with a red flashing light, a room with controls, another with about eight places to hide, and then a small room with a large window that only consists of controls and a chair. There is also a large area inside that many players converge at and then after that there is a part upstairs with a large circular table and a few boxes, this room is bad for murderers because there is windows on one side of the room showing outside, where many players group up at.|
|Workplace||A medium-sized map that seems to be a call center, according to the background noise. The map has lots of dead ends, so it is recommended to know where you're going if you're being chased by the murderer. There are a lot of hallways connecting to a single room, so it can be possible to grab the gun behind the murderer or if he/she is distracted.|
|Pond||A small map that consists of the pond itself and a few trees scattered around. The trees make very dark shadows, useful for hiding. This map can only be played on the bonus rounds Massacre and Juggernaut. This map has since been discontinued.|
|Barn||A medium-sized map that has the barn, a house, some hay, and gas tubes. The map lacks of cover, so you will have to improvise. The gas tubes can be used to confuse anyone going after you, as the space between them are small. The house can be used for temporary cover. The barn is the main standoff point. This map can only be played on the bonus rounds Wild West and Infected. This map has since been discontinued.|
|Police Station||It is quite a large map with many hiding spots. The map consists of several rooms including the main entrance/main room, restrooms, a garage downstairs, two offices in the second floor, an interragation room and a jail with two prison cells. There are many vents in the map, leading to many of the rooms and hallways around the map. This makes it easy to get away from the murderer.|
|Bank||The main feature is a metal detector connecting the main rooms with the air vents. The doorway to the bathroom is left open. If anyone that has a concealed weapon walks through these detectors, a loud beeping sound will commence and the lights will flash red. Anyone nearby that can see this will be notified. Only a Sheriff or Murderer can trigger these. A vent near a detector can be avoided if you stick to the wall and slide across. Behind the door, a vault is located. Only someone with a gun can open the vault doors, leading to the other side. This map has the highest coin spawn rate. This map was discontinued in 2018 due to a lot of complaints in this map when R15 took place.|
|It is a remake of the old Bank map where it is the first Rthro-Friendly map and had a bush where every innocents mostly hide. This is where the first and ever sheriff interactives get remove|
|NStudio Office||This map is a huge as the maps Workplace + Housev2. This map has a lunch area, meeting room, Play areas, (i guess) office room, Server Room, a huge hallway of maps and a Nightclub, where it leads to a office and Developer's Offices. There is a Easter Egg that in Nikilis's Office, you see Nikilis working on a New Mystery Box which is made for easter egg enthusiasm. It also had bushes and swinging lights where you can stand so the Murderer cannot see you. The murderer can win this 50% due to many hallways and Hiding spots.|
This map is a huge map features festive Christmas decorations. It has many hiding spots. There is a cool thing where in Nikilis's room it shows your face on th Elf of the Year picture frame where you can see your avatar on it while others see their avatar. Also, in Nikilis's office there is Sparkle Time present in his room where it creates a trail when being pushed, This is the first map to feature a bundle where when people can dress up as an Elf. This map can only be featured in the Christmas update!. This map was discontinued after the Christmas 2020 event.
|Research Facility||This is is the map that was replaced by Workshop, and was released along with Season 2. It features some kind of "BioLab II" but more exciting. It is the first map to have many interactives, to have teleporters, to have a feature where murderers can only use, a screen with a GIF effect on it, and to have a cloning or turning into something machine. The second map to have, interactive, (first was Mil-Base, you cannot consider Bank II an interactive because you can't press a specific button to operate it) role detector, and with a Sci-Fi themed. It has many and has vast secret hiding spots. There are many hallways and interactives where innocents can easily escape from murderer. There are some interactives which can let the murderer trap the innocents, or the innocents trap themselves. Somekind when you go to Thexz's secret office you see a duplicator machine. But it has a storyline, to know watch the full video of this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8sRJa43i74|
|Nightclub||(This map is not yet in the game. If you see this, it means the description of the map will get updated and this message will be removed after it has released. We just spared a space.) This map was first saw in the hallway gallery of maps in NStudio Office. The recent leak was JD's new video of doing a 1v1 in the map. (It is not the game itself though)|
- If a user is the murderer, deceiving the sheriff is a key goal to not being killed. Following the sheriff tends to increase suspicion! When trying to kill the sheriff, following him from behind increases the chances of not being seen.
- The Office, Ship or Hotel tend to be easier maps for the murderer.
- Revealing a gun may increase a user's chances of being killed by the murderer.
- There is a small chance that a user will be sheriff or murderer two or more times in a row. Because of this, many players may assume that once someone is the murderer, they will be innocent or sheriff the next round.
- Think carefully about every move. Some murderers can predict where a player will go and end up throwing a knife in that direction!
- When you are being chased by the murderer, think of where he/she will go.
- Try to move into different areas and rooms in the map to confuse the murderer, so you can get more time to hide/run.
- If you have a Boombox it is unwise to use to it during rounds especially as innocent because people more specifically the murderer can track where you are in the map increasing your chances of getting murdered.
- When you hear an effect sound check what people have it to know who's murderer
- The only way to detect a murderer who has turned invisible is the Murderer's knife being equipped, Murderer's boombox is playing and his Currently equipped pet with a Effect. The sheriff can only shoot the murderer if he/she is partially visible or totally visible.
- If you are innocent or sheriff think of who hasn’t been the murderer in a while, it might be them!
- If you are murderer, Resarch Facility is the only map where you can trust, by using all the interactives for the murderer role which can make it easy for you to kill them.
- If you are the murderer, the best way to kill someone is to act casual, and when someone is near you, quickly run to them and quickly take out your knife and kill them
- Knives and guns from previous rounds have been known to appear on most maps.
- When Nikilis asked his fan group to post which was their most favorite knife and gun, most gave the Invisible Knife as the best knife and the Golden Gun as the best gun.
- On 11 April 2014, all servers on Murder Mystery were hacked by an anonymous user. The hack froze the timer in-game, generating lots of complaints and hatred and quickly fell off the Top Played games within minutes. By 12 April 2014 at 1AM EST, Nikilis took down all the remaining hacked servers and fixed the issue.
- Murder Mystery reached 10 million visits on 27 April 2014 and 20 million visits on 23 December 2014.
- Murder Mystery consistently stayed in the top spots of the front page within the first month of it's release.
- The game won an award at Virtual BLOXcon 2014.
- If one looks at several viewpoints from 2 hotel rooms, the Hotel is actually floating in the sky.
- Versions 0.5.0b, 0.5.1b and 0.5.2b included the addition of music, a new GUI which showed every player, including the murderer and sheriff at the end of each round, how many kills the murderer made and how long the round lasted in total. For an unknown reason, this caused severe lag in-game and made people disconnect from the game when they were the Murderer and were to be shot by the Sheriff.
- In the hospital map, loleris is found laying down unconscious on a patient's bed, with Nikilis holding a knife.
- Version 0.6.1a had a bug that rarely allowed dropped guns to be picked up by the murderer. This caused murderers to dress themselves up as the sheriff, tricking and luring the innocents to easily kill them.
- The map Terraria is based on the two dimensional sandbox game, Terraria.
- This game helped start the murder trend on Roblox, causing countless spinoffs and similar games to be created, such as Murder! by Clonetrooper1019, The Mad Murderer by loleris, Twisted Murderer by Taymaster, and the most recent murder game, Murder Mystery X by Jordy240797.
- The names for the people are based on the NATO military alphabet such as A=Alpha B=Bravo
- The game uses the font "True Lies".
- In the hospital map, a computer is showing CloneTrooper10109's Murder! game.
- Around 2017-2018, skins were easily dupeable, giving Nikilis negative criticism.
- The Shadow pass, which was supposed to be available for a limited time, was in the shop for 2 years.
- The Batwing, a former DevEx item was added in the Halloween 2018 update, but was met with mixed feelings from the community. during the days it was still a DevEx item it is a Big Bat Scythe were they can hold it like a Grim Reaper and its Slash is different. Hacking this item risks a ban, which was the reason becoming a Gamepass, so it did not remain like this, it was re-sized, and it removed the former equip animation. It got replaced by Nik's Scythe as a DevEx item. It is a Blue version of the Batwing but its tradeable and it's worth a lot.
- The Current maps today was updated after Bankv2 map came because R15 and Rthro took place in 2018. except for Bio Lab.
- After Bankv2 map came out the bush became a God spot. When Season 1 update came, 3 more maps were added the bush and were Rthro-Friendly.
- After Season 1 was released, players can now hold more coins. Most items in the shop such as crates have had their prices increased.
- There are no current maps featuring the Sheriff-only door, but the interactive in the new map, Research Facility is for every player which they can access it.
- The House map along with the Mansion are the only maps that doesn't have like a version 2 onthe name of it like "House II" and whatsoever.
- Before Season 2 arrived, the effects with exclusive death effects were broken for a while but when Season 2 was released, it had a setting which you can turn on/off the death effect of a specific effect. Except it won't work for those effects without death effect like Snowflake 2017 and etc..
- Research Facility is the only map where Murderer has a feature on it, whether slash or throw the door wires making it close or slashing or throwing their knife to the Electric Box which turns off the lights completely until the end of the round.
- There was a "glitch" in the Hospital III. The bench in the hallway beside the X-ray room would make it a god hiding spot. You can hide behind the benches, which the murderer can hardly notice. But in Season 2 it was fixed along with the Factory truck glitch.
- Before in MM1, the Classic tier, which we now know as Vintage. There were selected knives with a exclusive kill effect and perk. You can watch this video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FImk-sh0eY