Click here to access it.
Adopt Me! is a roleplay game created by DreamCraft. The game features two roles: baby and parent, which cares for the baby. Other features include obbies, pets, a trading system, and customizable houses. The game was featured in the 7th Annual Bloxy Awards and Egg Hunt 2020: Agents of E.G.G. events.
Since its inception, the game has been considered to be the most popular game on Roblox due to how long it has stayed at the top spot on the front page, reaching over 450K concurrent players every day. It is also one of the most played games on Roblox, amassing over nine billion place visits. On April 4, 2020, Adopt Me! became the most visited game on Roblox.
On April 11, 2020, the game amassed 1,615,085 concurrent Roblox players, making it the first and only game as of now to cross the one million concurrent players mark.
On May 30, 2020, the game reached 7.8 billion visits, making it the only game so far to surpass the estimated human population.
Both teams (baby and parent) spawn in their house, which they can customize to their heart's content. Babies and parents can ask (not request) nearby players to be a part of their family by pressing [E] on a computer or tablet, or [click to send request] on a mobile. Alternatively, they can create their own family by going to the family GUI and then clicking 'Create Family'.
When a baby or a parent accepts a player invite to be their family, both the baby and the parent will have a GUI. If there are multiple babies in the family, the baby that was held first's GUI's will show up for the parent. That GUI is for the baby's needs. There are four of these needs the parent must tend to, otherwise, the baby will be unhappy. These needs are represented as bars, slowly shrinking as time passes. The lower the GUI of the baby is, the lower the daily paycheck the parent will receive. The nine needs are:
|Boredness||How active the baby or pet is. This can be increased by going to the park or playing the piano in your house.|
|Camping||Bring the pet or kid to the campsite.|
|Cleanliness||How clean the baby or pet is. This can be increased by taking a shower in your house.|
|Hunger||How hungry the baby or pet is. This can be increased by feeding formula, food from the supermarket, or Ramsay's Pizzeria.|
|Pool Party||The baby or pet is hot. Take them to the pool.|
|School||Bring the baby or pet to school to learn.|
|Sickness||Bring the baby or the pet to the hospital, where they can eat a healing apple or be healed by Doctor Heart.|
|Sleepiness||How tired the baby or pet is, can only be increased by placing the baby in the bed.|
|Thirsty||How thirsty the baby or pet is, can be increased by giving them a drink.|
After the pets update, players were able to adopt pets, including basic ones likes dog and cats, or rare pets such as wolves, griffins, unicorns, etc. Pets have the same moods as babies and they can be taught tricks by the pet trainer at the school. Babies cannot hold pets or put pets in strollers, but parents can.
There is an in-game currency called Bucks, which can be used to buy strollers, toys, pet supplies, furniture, etc. As a baby, Bucks are gained when taken care of by a parent, or by the baby taking care of a pet. As a parent, Bucks are given when taking care of a baby or a pet.
- On May 4, 2019, the game reached one billion place visits, making it the seventh game to surpass the milestone.
- It broke two previous records with over 440K concurrent players on June 15, 2019, with over 517K concurrent players on October 18, 2019, and with over 640k concurrent players on December 14, 2019.
- Additionally, it broke the record three times in one week, which had over 707K concurrent players at its peak on April 7, 2020.
- On April 11, 2020, the game became the first to reach over one million concurrent players. At its peak, it reached over 1.6M concurrent players. This caused Roblox's servers and website to slow down, and many users experienced severe lag and found it difficult to play any games.
- On May 28, 2020, the game reached the one million concurrent player mark again.
- Totaling up the records, it has broken the player record seven times.
PartnershipsIn September 2019, the game Arsenal by the ROLVe Community partnered with the game, adding a new skin called Anna named after the game's baby mascot.
In January 2020, the game Super Doomspire partnered with the game to add multiple pet related stickers, some available through code and some purchaseable in the shop.
In May 2020, The Adopt Me Team teamed up with Scoob to bring Scooby-Doo in the world of Adopt Me. The pet Scoob was temporarily in-game up to May 18, 2020.
- What was it like developing Adopt Me?
- It's a lot of fun! Adopt Me is an enjoyable creative and technical challenge for both me and my co-creator Bethink. It's been an immense growth opportunity as well and has definitely pushed my programming to the next level. The great thing about working on a roleplay game is that there are limitless features you can add, since roleplay is pretty much a simulation of the real world.
- What challenges did you have to overcome while developing? What was the most challenging?
- We're constantly adding new features, but a lot of times that means our existing codebase doesn't have the capabilities we need to support the new stuff. We've rewritten our code 3-4 times now. And we're working through a major rewrite of our avatar system right now. When working with a codebase with 50,000+ lines of code, it can be difficult to make broad-sweeping changes, so we build automated tools and macros to rewrite and refactor our code. The biggest issue that we ran into is that many of our favorite tools don't work within Roblox Studio, so we needed a way to sync our code to the filesystem so we could use the full suite of tools. To solve this issue, we built a program called Rosync that does a snapshot sync to the filesystem so the code can be manipulated with traditional tools like git and vim macros.
- What did you enjoy most while developing Adopt Me?
- I have and always will be a software engineer at heart. I do enjoy the creative aspect of game dev like dreaming up new items and designing UIs, but nothing beats the feeling of hitting Play and your beautifully architected code that abstracts complexity into simple units works perfectly.
- Is there anything else you'd like to share?
- I've been working on Roblox for nearly a decade, and it's been incredible to see the platform grow from my childhood sandbox to this mainstream platform that's conquering the world. Keep it up Roblox!
Criticism & Controversy
Some people have criticized the game for being too similar to games such as Life in Paradise and Adopt and Raise a Cute Kid. It is also perceived to be a hub for online daters due to the family theme. At one point, the game featured a controversial thumbnail depicting an adult avatar supposedly about to eat a child, though it has long since been taken down. The thumbnail was created into a t-shirt by a user and can be found here.
Due to the limited capacity of Roblox's servers, Adopt Me's 1.6M concurrent player milestone caused Roblox's servers and website to slow down. It was the first game in Roblox history to break the platform and apparently had more concurrent players than any Steam game. This led to the anger of many Roblox users, including causing a petition to be made on change.org, which accumulated over 21,000 supporters as of April 25, 2020.
It also receives criticism for looking similar to MeepCity and being another Adopt and Raise a Cute Baby game. The game also received criticism due to the game's abundant microtransactions and shifted focus on caring for pets instead of babies.
- NewFissy stated that the game was created due to the death of one of the senior developers of TreeLands, the game he worked on but quit to make Adopt Me!.
- A potential reason why it became so popular is because it combines the simulator genre (with pets) and the building genre (which Welcome to Bloxburg uses with some forms of roleplay, but it did not get as popular due to the game being paid access) into a role-playing experience.
- On June 14, 2019, pets were added to the game.
- The game has a like-to-dislike ratio of 1M–309K, giving it an 86% like-dislike ratio.
- The game has been favorited over 11M times.
- Each game server holds 48 players.
- There is another game called Adopt Key, which is a bad remake but populated by Flamingo which is a remake and/ or a crossover of piggy and adopt me. It is badly scripted and has some details that are before the piggy family were infected.