An Emote is an action players can perform whilst in-game. There are currently 7 universal emotes and 10 purchasable emotes (Rthro only). Emotes were introduced on October 2, 2013. The player must type in /e [emote] into the chat for the character to do a universal emote, or use the emote menu or /e to do a purchasable emote. All emotes are silent. The emotes only make your character move.
A full list of emotes can be found here.
- /e dance - Does the first dance for R15, and does a random dance for R6.
- /e dance1 - A dance resembling Gangnam Style with R6, and raving with R15. Sidenote: This command won't work with R15, and won't do anything if said in chat.
- /e dance2 - A dance where the player moves from side to side in R6. R15 involves the player's avatar twisting their arms and looking side to side instead. In R6, if performed correctly, it is possible to glitch through walls roughly 0.05 to 0.8 studs thick using /e dance2.
- /e dance3 - A dance where the player jumps on alternating legs with their arms pointing in R6. R15 involves the character swaying side to side while moving their arms.
- /e cheer - The character jumps and cheers, but does not make noise.
- /e point - The character points.
- /e wave - The character waves quickly in R6, and a bit more smoothly with R15.
- /e laugh - The character laughs, but does not make any noise.
- /e tilt - The character tilts their entire body at a 15-degree angle.
- /e salute - The character rapidly moves their arms to catch hold ofs in order to salute in an informal manner.
- /e stadium - The character moves their body to the left first then to the right while in the middle of lifting their arms up in the air.
- /e point2 - The character raises their right hand and then brings it down to an exaggerated point.
- /e hello - The character raises their left arm above the body and waves, putting all weight on the right leg.
- /e shrug - The character puts their arms up on either side, palms in an outward motion and shakes their head.
- /e t - The character does a T-Pose.
- /e robot - The user does the popular 'robot' dance.
- /e shy - The user lowers their head and nudges to their left in a back and forth motion.
An emote menu was added into the Roblox launcher on June 24, 2019, as well as a section for emotes to be purchased on the catalog. The first emotes to be added were Tilt, Stadium, and Salute, all of which can only be used with R15 avatars. The emotes can be accessed in-game by clicking the silhouette of a white Roblox avatar on the top of the menu or pressing B.
It was removed after an hour of being live due to complaints from developers, including "the icon didn't fit well with the rest" and "this update was too sudden and uncalled for". A few of the complaints were referencing the B key being overwritten without a warning. On July 1, 2019, an official follow up from Roblox was posted.
On August 5, 2019, the emote menu was re-enabled, with the "B" key-bind removed. It was disabled again 2 hours after.
On August 19, 2019, the emote menu was once again re-enabled. It was confirmed in a blog post that it will stay.