An Emote is an action players can perform whilst in-game. There are currently 8 universal emotes and 3 purchasable emotes (R15 & Rthro only). Emotes were introduced on October 2, 2013. The player must type in /e [emote] into the chat for the character to do a universal emote, or use the emote menu or /e to do a purchasable emote. All emotes are silent. The emotes only make your character move.
A full list of emotes can be found here.
- /e dance - Does the first dance for R15, and does a random dance for R6.
- /e dance1 - A dance resembling Gangnam Style with R6, and raving with R15. Sidenote: This command won't work with R15, and won't do anything if said in chat.
- /e dance2 - A dance where the player moves from side to side in R6. R15 involves the player's avatar twisting their arms and looking side to side instead.
- /e dance3 - A dance where the player jumps on alternating legs with their arms pointing in R6. R15 involves the character swaying side to side while moving their arms.
- /e cheer - The character jumps and cheers, but does not make noise.
- /e point - The character points.
- /e wave - The character waves quickly in R6, and a bit more smoothly with R15.
- /e laugh - The character laughs, but does not make any noise.
Notice: These emotes are no longer functional as the emote wheel has been disabled for the time being. If you have purchased an emote of this type, use /e (emote name)
- /e tilt - The character tilts their entire body at a 15 degree angle.
- /e salute - The character rapidly moves their arms to catch hold ofs in order to salute in an informal manner.
- /e stadium - The charactves their body to the left first then to the right while in the middle of lifting their arms up in the air.
An emote menu was added into the Roblox launcher on June 24, 2019, as well as a section for emotes to be purchased on the catalog. The first emotes to be added were Tilt, Stadium, and Salute, all of which can only be used with R15 avatars. The emotes can be accessed in-game by clicking the silhouette of a white Roblox avatar on the top of the menu or pressing B. It was removed after an hour of being live due to complaints from developers, including "the icon didn't fit well with the rest" and "this update was too sudden and uncalled for". A few of the complaints were referencing the B key being overwritten without a warning.
On July 1st, 2019, there was a post in a DevForum thread that had an official follow up from Roblox. You can read it here.
- ↑ CodeWriter (October 2, 2013). "New Movements Set the Stage for Keyframe Animation System".
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/in-game-emotes-menu/292380