Running Roblox with Wine requires Wine 6.11 or a more recent version. As of July 22, 2021, this requires using a development release. Sufficiently recent versions of Wine are available in Arch Linux, Fedora Linux, nixpkgs unstable, openSUSE Tumbleweed, and Void Linux and WineHQ provides binary packages for development releases for Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu.
On July 28, 2012, John Shedletsky confirmed that progress on Roblox on Linux was 97% complete. Shedletsky claimed that the problem with Linux is the poor driver support. Another blog post by Shedletsky claimed that they could spend months on Linux or they could work on a highly requested feature.
We’re probably 97% of the way to a Linux port, now that we’ve all the work necessary to port ROBLOX to OSX – which, as you probably know, is based on the UNIX kernel. I think the problem that we would likely run into on Linux is poor video driver support. I’ve heard horror stories from other developers. However, as Linux becomes more popular, I expect this hurdle to disappear.
We could spend six months porting ROBLOX to Linux, or we could deliver other highly requested features. If we’re going to be porting ROBLOX to another platform, Android is definitely next in line. Consoles are a close second–maybe that would involve a Linux port, particularly if the Steam OS takes off. We’ll see.John Shedletsky, Feedback Loop: BLOXcast Edition
During the RDC 2020 Q&A session, it was confirmed that there were currently no plans to bring Roblox to Linux due to its small desktop market share. However, Arseny Kapoulkine has said that there will be plans if "Linux becomes the platform of choice for gamers".
Roblox has been tested multiple times, with success until 2015. On May 15, 2015, Roblox received a "Gold" rating in the Wine App Database.
From 2015 to 2021, it was not possible to run Roblox Player on Linux, as joining a game resulted in the connection being dropped with the error "This game has shut down." This was originally assumed to be due to anti-cheat software, but Kalen Alwardt later stated this "was not the cause of the issue."
On June 11, 2021, a user by the name of ImSlappy826 (Slappy826#0001 on Discord) created a one-line patch for Wine that allowed the Roblox Player to work again on a GNU/Linux or BSD system. The patch implements the ZwFilterToken function, which was supposed to be implemented along NtFilterToken, into ntdll. The patch has been committed to the Wine development tree and is included in Wine 6.11. User Brinker released a pre-patched version for Arch-based Linux distributions, while user robigan created a patch for Debian based distros.
- Download. WineHQ. Archived from the original on June 19, 2021. Retrieved on June 19, 2021.
- Roblox Panel | RDC2020. YouTube. Roblox (July 31, 2020). Retrieved on June 19, 2021.
- Bloxy News (July 26, 2020). Twitter post. Twitter. Archived from the original on March 1, 2021. Retrieved on June 19, 2021.
- https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15961 Wine App Database.
- "You have been kicked due to unexpected client behavior. (Error Code: 268)" message after attempting to join a game. GitHub. Archived from the original on January 25, 2021. Retrieved on June 19, 2021.
- Bug 39142 — Roblox Client/Server connection is dropped with error "This server has shut down.". WineHQ Bugzilla. Retrieved on June 19, 2021.
- Alwardt, Kalen (June 14, 2021). ntdll: Export ZwFilterToken().. source.winehq.org. Retrieved on June 19, 2021.
- Julliard, Alexandre. The Wine development release 6.11 is now available.. WineHQ. Retrieved on June 19, 2021.