Robux (originally stylized as ROBUX, formerly R$) is the sole universal currency on Roblox. Introduced on May 14, 2007, as a replacement of ROBLOX Points, Robux was formerly one of two currencies on the platform alongside Tix (which were removed on April 14, 2016).
Robux is known as Roblox's primary currency by the community and staff; all paid items created by ROBLOX within the catalog are sold for Robux, and user-created content like microtransactions and game passes also follow the same rule. The name 'Robux' is a portmanteau of Roblox and "bucks" (bux).In November 2019, the icon was switched from R$ to a more generic hexagon shape (see here).
Prior to the release of the Tix and Builders Club, all users earned 5 Robux daily as a log-in reward and 1 Robux per place visit. Prior to mid-August 2019, players who purchased Builders Club, Turbo Builders Club or Outrageous Builders Club received a daily Robux stipend:
- Builders Club (BC) members earned 15 (formerly 5 before late 2016) Robux per day.
- Turbo Builders Club (TBC) members earned 35 Robux per day.
- Outrageous Builders Club (OBC) members earned 60 Robux per day.
- Roblox Premium 450
- Roblox Premium 1000
- Roblox Premium 2200
Premium users can sell T-shirts, Shirts, and Pants to earn a profit after Marketplace fees are calculated. Users can earn 70% of the item price (30% marketplace fee). This also applies to when game passes, developer products, and Limited items are sold. Regular users are only able to sell game passes and developer products and will earn 10% of the price (90% marketplace fee).
Players can sell Game passes and Developer Products to earn Robux in the same manner as Catalog items. Additionally, they can include gear on the game page, which will pay a fixed number of Robux depending on membership to the developer every time a gear is purchased on that page. Non-Premium members will get 10% of the Robux while Premium members will receive 70%. Before Mid-August 2019, each player will receive 10 R$ per piece of the equipment sold.
A group can sell virtual items in the Catalog like an individual user. However, all the Robux earned is deposited into the "Group Funds" which can then be distributed among members. Group funds can also be used and distributed by other members, so long as they have admin permissions.
Robux can be included in a trade (30% marketplace fee).
Roblox released the ability to purchase Robux through its website on September 26, 2008, alongside the guest feature. The ability to purchase Robux through the Roblox Mobile App was released on December 11, 2012. Robux can also be purchased through a Roblox Card, which can be purchased at many stores in the US, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand, such as GameStop, Walmart, FYE, Coles and more. Users with an active premium membership will receive an additional Robux bonus if they purchase Robux. Users who do not own a credit card can use Rixty, which allows them to purchase gift cards and use Coinstar machines to change the spare change into Robux. Currently, Rixty does not work outside of the USA or Using Load (Smart, Globe, TNT) (Philippines Only)
For players outside of the US, prices are displayed as their country's currency equivalents (however exchange rates are not fully taken into account by Roblox when buying directly from the website).
'Red X' marks indicate that the set amount of Robux given is no longer purchasable or there is no existing BC bonus. All Premium members get a 10% Robux purchase bonus.
|Price (USD)||Price (GBP)||
|Premium/BC R$ Bonus||More Info|
|40 R$||$0.49||£0.49||€0.44||❌||Only purchasable on the Roblox Mobile app or the Roblox Chromebook App|
|80 R$||$0.99||£0.99||€1.09||8 R$||
Only purchasable on the Roblox Mobile App or the Roblox Windows.
|160 R$ ❌||$1.99||£1.57||€1.80||20 R$||Discontinued after Rixty payment was removed.|
|240 R$ ❌||$2.99||£2.36||€2.70||30 R$||Discontinued after Rixty Payment was removed.|
|320 R$ ❌||$3.99||£3.14||€3.60||40 R$||Discontinued after the Rixty payment was removed.|
|400 R$||$4.95||£4.99||€4.99||40 R$||Not available on the Roblox Windows 10 App.|
|800 R$||$9.99||£8.99||€9.99||80 R$||Not available on the Roblox Xbox One App.|
|1,700 R$||$19.99||£17.99||€20.99||170 R$||Replaced the 2000 R$ pack on PC.|
|$24.99||£22.99||€22.55||750 R$||Replaced by the 1700 R$ pack on PC.|
|4,500 R$||$49.99||£46.49||€49.99||450 R$||Not available on some mobile devices.|
|10,000 R$||$99.99||£92.99||€99.99||1,000 R$||Not available on some mobile devices.|
|22,500 R$ ❌||$199.99||£184.99||€180.43||12,500 R$||Discontinued after Robux prices update.|
|75,000 R$ ❌||$499.95||£399.95||€451.05||25,000 R$||Discontinued shortly after being introduced in early 2015.|
- For 100 Robux, users can create groups.
- For 25 Robux, group owners can create a new rank for their group.
- Before the new group layout, for 500 Robux, group owners could create a clan for their group. (Clans can no longer be purchased.)
- For 1,000 Robux, users can change their username.
- Users can upload thumbnails for their places. An image thumbnail was 10 Robux but is now free, while a video thumbnail costs 500 Robux.
- Users can create a Badge for their game at a price of 100 Robux each.
- Users can bid on an advertisement for their games, clothing, groups or models for different amounts of Robux. The value has to at least be 10 R$.
- Users can pay to access certain games with varying prices.
- Users can purchase items in the catalog for varying amounts of Robux, excluding free items.
- Users can buy game passes and developer products for specific games.
- Users can upload an audio file to the Library, with costs ranging from 20 Robux to 350 Robux depending on how long the length of the audio is.
The current exchange rate from Robux to USD is $0.0035 per Robux. The following widget can be used to convert Robux to USD and vice versa, using the current exchange rate.
- Main article: RoblEX
With the November 2008 release of the Robux currency exchange, players were given the ability to exchange Tix into Robux and vice-versa. The Roblox's exchange rate is based on user demand and typically hovers around 1 Robux for about 20 tickets for market orders. However, on April 14, 2016, the currency exchange was shut down following the removal of tickets.
- Main article: DevEx
The Developer's Exchange (DevEx) was released on October 1, 2013. This feature allows developers who meet specific qualifications to exchange Robux into real-life currency (USD) on a monthly basis. In order to qualify for DevEx, users must be currently subscribed to the Outrageous Builders Club, be a community member in good standing, have earned over 100,000 Robux, have a valid PayPal account, and be verified. Currently, developers earn $350 per 100,000 Robux exchanged through DevEx.
Exchanging Credit Balance
As of October 2019, leftover credit acquired from Roblox game cards can be converted into Robux.
- Main article: Scam
Robux is most often acquired by directly purchasing it on the Roblox website because most players cannot earn it or do not earn enough via developer products or other sellable goods to obtain the items or features they want on the platform. As a result of this, many players who have never spent any real money or have only spent a small amount on Roblox often resort to begging, and there are also malicious users who attempt to scam users in order to take their Robux or other valuable assets (including the account itself).
- "❤Redeem TONS of ROBUX❤ and ACCESS to 💲EVERY Game Pass for FREE💲! No information🔐, no anything! Just get a 🎁code🎁, and redeem here! It's simple, easy, and 😁free😁! Go to the following link👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- 😍🔥🌈🌟This groups members are qualified to retrieve tons of ROBUX and Game Passes all instantly for free! Visit the following link👉: [SCAM SITE]
- "👉Simply go to the following link: 👉 [SCAM SITE] 👈 Unlock every Game Pass and get thousands of ROBUX. This is in appreciation of being an active player. Roblox thanks you for joining this group. 😍 Redeem your code Instantly. 👉Simply go to the following link: 👉 [SCAM SITE]"
- "Hello. As an appreciation for playing [RANDOM GAME], you have been qualified to receive a Roblox game card code for thousands of Robux instantly for free. Redeem your game card instantly, simply go to [SCAM SITE]. No information or download is required!"
- "Hi There, You are eligible to receive thousands of Robux immediately. Your code: [RANDOM CODE]. Get your redemption codes before its too late! Go to [SCAM SITE]!"
- "That's right THOUSANDS of Robux for free, no account information, NO DOWNLOAD, simply fill your username."
- "Hey () Why () Don't () You () Have () Your () Dominus () Yet? () Because () Those () Scams () Are () Fake! () Play () My () Game () To () Get () FREE () ROBUX! [SCAMGAME]"
- "Do you want ROBUX absolutely FREE? Tired of scams? No login info or downloads! Simply go to the following link: [SCAM SITE]"
- "GUYS! I got BC TBC OBC ROBUX LIMITED ITEM from joining This GAME! This is the safest way to Earn ROBUX!▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 【Working】【Free】【Not fake】【Not joke】【Just Wait for 】 【Follow Rules】【Golden】 here the LINK: [SCAM GAME]"
- "🍀I got thousands of ROBUX and access to EVERY Game Pass just by getting a code.🍀Tired of scams?💚No login info or downloads!💚👉Simply go to the following link👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "😎ROBLOX is giving access to ALL Game Passes and Thousands of ROBUX throughout the entire summer to everyone! This is an official event so no info needed. Go to the following link for your code 👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "🔥🔥HAPPY JULY🔥🔥 To celebrate the start of a new month we will be giving away thousands of robux🍀💚🍀💚🍀💚 . To qualify to go to [SCAM SITE] this is an official event so no info is needed 😍😍 Limited time left!"
- "🔥To celebrate the 🌟 4th of July ROBLOX is rewarding 👑EVERY👑 player with access to EVERY Game😍Pass and Thousands of ROBUX 😍. All you need to do is get your code INSTANTLY at the following link:👉: [SCAM SITE] then redeem it instantly at: roblox.com/promocodes 👉Don't forget in order to redeem 🤴 you need to get your 💎code💎 first by going to the following link👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "Here is how to get free Robux. First, go to [SCAM SITE] and then enter your username and select how much Robux you want. We will then attempt to connect to Roblox's servers. Due to our site being commonly used by spambots, you might have to complete human verification. Simply select an offer and then complete the survey, and then the Robux will be awarded to your account!"
- "💚Redeem ROBUX & Game Passes Instantly💚🍀No info required!🍀 💚Just get a code, and redeem here!💚 🍀It's easy & 💲FREE💲!🍀 👍Instant Redemption!👍 👉Check out the following link👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "🍀Want ROBUX?🍀💚Access to Every Game Pass Too?💚🍀Tired of scams?🍀💚No info or downloads!💚🍀Instant redemption!🍀💚 Redeem NOW for FREE!💚👉Get your code at the following link and yes its a link👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "👉If you are viewing this message that means you are qualified to unlock game passes, and R$ Instantly. 👈 💥Get your code for ROBUX now for FREE💥. Get your code now at this link👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "[PLAYERNAME] Just got TONS of Robux for free at [SCAM SITE]. Go to this website and earn thousands of free robux today!"
- "[PLAYERNAME] just got TONS of ROBUX using [SCAM SITE]! Visit [SCAM SITE] in your browser to generate ROBUX instantly!"
- "🧡If you see this you're selected⭐️. Processed Instantly for tons of BUX. No info needed! Unlock VIP. Simply get your promotion today! 👉Go see the link: [SCAM SITE]"
- "👉 Hey since you're reading my profile this means you're selected to instantly get access to all passes to games and get tons R$ Quickly! 👍 💥Redeem your promo code for bux now for free! 💥 Go See Following link now-> [SCAM SITE] Check it out 👉 [SCAM SITE]"
- "🖐️Hi you're on my special profile you are selected to get access to all passes to games and barrels of Bux💲 Instantly. 👉 💥Redeem your redemption # for ROBUX now for free! 💥 Go see link -> [SCAM SITE] Check it out: [SCAM SITE]"
- "👉Hello, if you can see this message then you're now 👉certified👈 Check link> [SCAM SITE] now! 🏆Receive Admin to ALL games also access to tons of 💲BUX Right away. ☀️An official event so NO INFO is required!⭐️ 💛Go check the following link now👉: [SCAM SITE]"
- "You caught me! That means you are eligible to get TONS of R$. Link👉 [SCAM SITE]"
- "I just got TONS of ROBUX using [SCAM SITE]! Visit [SCAM SITE] on your browser to generate TONS of ROBUX instantly!"
- "Want ROBUX? Go to [SCAM SITE] on your browser to start earning today! Use promocode [CODE]!"
- "Don't have enough ROBUX for gamepasses? 🎮 Can't afford items?👓 💸Go to ➡️[SCAM SITE]⬅️ in your browser to start earning R$ today!💸 Use promocode Snowman ☃️ !"
- "yo I just got ROBUX at [SCAM SITE]"
- "Check out [SCAM SITE] on your browser for ROBUX!"
- "I just got MILLIONS of robux for FREE! 🥳 Want in? Just go to [SCAM SITE] to claim your massive payload of absolutely CLEAN ROBUX! No human verification, no offers! 💵 Not just that! You name the amount of Robux you want meshed to your ACCOUNT! Just enter you username and password to get all the Robux you have ever dreamed of! 💴"
The bots are often the default player model when you make a new account, showing that they were made specifically to send spam messages. Additionally, many bots share similar basic avatars. Roblox encourages players to click the Report Abuse button and report these bot accounts. If there is a scam website, players can email the link to
- Main article: Scam#Scambots
THATS RIGHT, I received 25k Robux INSTANTLY from (scamsite.suffix) and no information is needed!".
Some, however, may use the "/me" command after joining a game, which allows a username to become white in chat, and stand out, having only the name and no special characters ("USERNAME -Message-" instead of "[USERNAME]: -Message-"), for example: "
/me just got TONS of ROBUX! Visit (scamsite.) to generate
FREE ROBUX instantly!", where "/me" becomes the Username. However, the /me command has been removed due to spambots, bots now simply type them out without the /me command.
Those that join games generally look like the "Bacon Hair" style default avatar or wear-free clothes from the avatar shop. If you see the player tab has players such as "ROBLOX" or another admin, they are fake and there to trick you into thinking the game is legit and being used or being visited by a Roblox Employee.
Due to this, the /me command was disabled by default in all Roblox games on May 17, 2019.
Friend/Follow BotsThis species of Bots Follow and friend request a certain user with usernames like "Click", "DontClickme", "CheckMeOut", "Read/DontReadmyDesc", and "2838743829388"(random numbers). The Friend Server update has lowered the chance of getting these bots, but by now most of these bots have been terminated. If an account like this attempts to gain contact with you, report it at once.
The value of Robux has decreased since its initial release. With 3,297 Robux, a Roblox Blog article once declared Miked as the wealthiest Roblox player. Today, many users have upwards of 40,000 Robux in their accounts without being considered as wealthy by the community. This is largely due to the fact that new Robux is generated every time a user earns a daily stipend from their Builders Club membership or purchases it directly from Roblox, which in turn contributes to the currency's inflation as an ever-growing amount of players continue to desire goods or features that cost Robux.
Current theories about the dramatic shift in Robux value are embedded in the idea of supply and demand. Supply and demand are typically inversely related, and the balance of both establish the equilibrium price. For example, by selling most of their items in the catalog for Robux and incentivizing users to exchange Robux for real-life currency through the Developer's Exchange, the demand for Robux has increased. This increase in demand compared to a minimal increase in the supply of Robux creates a deficit of Robux.
According to the Developer's Exchange, 400 Robux is equal to $1, while a 2013 blog post announced that one Robux is equal to one penny.
On July 12, 2019, the BC bonus for each Robux purchase option was reduced to only 10% of the NBC Robux, the $24.95 option was replaced by a new $19.95 option for 1700 Robux (1870 with BC) and the $199.95 option was removed. It is speculated that this was in order to be able to pay developers more, however many players were disappointed with this change as it means they will have to pay even more to get the same amount of Robux as before.
Sometime in early 2019, an image of a new icon was found in the Roblox files. The file was called email@example.com. Many users started speculating that the Robux icon would be replaced, and some said the icon would not be replaced. Roblox confirmed this at RDC 2019 that the Robux icon would stay, and a new one would not come.
Later on, during the month of November, the new icon was split into three colors: black, grey, and yellow/gold. In the same month, it began to appear for random users as part of A/B testing. By the end of the month, it was enabled for all users.
The new icon has received controversy from many users, some saying that the icon has no resemblance to Robux, while others say that it looks like a lug nut rather than any form of currency.
- Instead of R$, RO$ was the previous shortened term for Robux. 
- A blog post once referred to a single unit of the currency as 'Robuk'.
- R$ is also the symbol for actual currency, the Brazilian Real. It is possible that Roblox, due to its recent international growth, considered this when changing to the new hexagon icon, to avoid confusion with being real Brazilian currency.
- On April 12, 2007, the 1st place winner team of the Paintball Tournament on Ultimate Paintball got free Builders Club and Robux.
- ↑ Shedletsky. ROBLOX ROBUX. Roblox Blog. http://blog.roblox.com/2007/05/roblox-robux/
- ↑ John Shedletsky. Be Our Guest, Buy Our ROBUX. Roblox Blog. http://blog.roblox.com/2008/09/be-our-guest-buy-our-robux/
- ↑ Dylan Bromley. Roblox Mobile is Out Of Beta: Download and Play Today!. Roblox Blog. http://blog.roblox.com/2012/12/roblox-mobile-is-out-of-beta-download-and-play-today/
- ↑ John Shedletsky. It's the Economy... Roblox Blog. http://blog.roblox.com/2008/11/its-the-economy-2/
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/in-game-chat-me/280889
- ↑ Andrew "Blockhaak" Hakk. The Definitive Statistical Guide to Roblox's High-Growth in 2012. Roblox Blog. http://blog.roblox.com/2013/01/the-definitive-statistical-guide-to-robloxs-high-growth-2012/
- ↑ https://images.rbxcdn.com/f8669ed5cb8a275bf1aacfcfe51b0a18-economy_28x28_light.svg
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/theres-a-new-robux-icon/391639
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/theres-a-new-robux-icon/391639/6
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/theres-a-new-robux-icon/391639/14
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/theres-a-new-robux-icon/391639/25
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/theres-a-new-robux-icon/391639/9
- ↑ Alan "JacksSmirkingRevenge" Fackler. ROBLOX Currency Exchange: The Deep End. Roblox Blog. http://blog.roblox.com/2012/10/roblox-currency-exchange-the-deep-end/