A skateboard is a vehicle-type gear item that was first introduced in late February 2010. All variants are based on real life skateboards. The release of the skateboard triggered a series of building contests that were ongoing until a later time. Many of the contests were sponsored by Disney.
On September 16, 2019, September 17 2019, and October 10, 2019, all of the skateboards were taken off-sale. A possible reason for this is that many (if not all) of the skateboards were considered "broken" by players, as their functions were broken due to modern updates. The limited skateboards were also taken off-sale, but are still purchasable & resellable.
The skateboards worked just like vehicles, except with a few changes to make it look and feel like you were skateboarding. Experimental body animation frames were used to make it look like you are skateboarding. There were a few problems with you falling over on your side and getting stuck. This could have been fixed by adding an unflip tool or GUI. To dismount, the player could have pressed Backspace ("Esc" before 2011).
Overtime, these skateboards had their functions broken and were considered useless by many players.
List of skateboards
- Ultimate Slide
- Merica Airwalker
- Cartoon Network
- Summer 2014
- Red Grind
- Solid Gold
- Ice Cream
- Radical Orange
- Digital Green Skateboard
- Blue Yonder
- Lava XD
- Orange You Jealous XD
- Scribbly XD
- Dollar Sign
- ): Red Grind Original Flyer
Players have criticized Roblox for removing skateboards, rather than fixing them.
- Originally, skateboards could have not been picked up, which led to many players complaining about losing their skateboards, but sometime in 2014 or 2015, the ability was added to pick up all skateboards, to avoid losing them.
- Sometimes, when a player tries to got on a skateboard, it would tip over to its side, making it impossible to get on.
- Around March 2016, the TBC and OBC skateboards were taken off-sale for an unknown reason. On September 17, 2019, the BC skateboard was taken off-sale.
- In some places, using a Gravity Coil on a skateboard would have caused the player to slip around while using them, also allowing the player to build high amounts of speed.