Roblox is slowly phasing out studs, they no longer appear on newer created places but are still accessible through the surface tool.
2004 - 2005
Studs are square and the studs look popped out instead of in.
2006 - 2009
Studs are not popped out anymore and instead are textures on the block. The studs became circle studs, similar to LEGO. These studs have become a staple of older versions of Roblox.
Studs have taken on a square form, now lacking any favicon or lettering on them.
2009 - 2013
The letter "R" (for Roblox) is implemented onto the square studs, becoming one of the most iconic versions of the studs.
2013 - 2015
Square studs are refined for the first time in four years. They are given improved shading to make the studs look as if they are popping out more.
2015 – January 2017
The outlines on studs become more shaded.
January - March 2017
The "R" favicon is changed to a tilted "O" to represent the logo change.
March 2017 – present
Roblox's "O" favicon is removed from the studs and now resemble the studs from early 2009.
2015 (Maintenance Page)
Studs are blocky and stick out, resembling a smoother version of the original 2004 - 2005 studs.
TriviaThis section is a trivia section. Please relocate any relevant information into other sections of the article.
- The old Roblox studs look similar to the LEGO studs.
- Contrary to popular belief, Roblox was not sued by the LEGO Company for circle studs. The LEGO company does not have a patent on the LEGO brick.
- The Roblox studs also appear similar to the Blockland studs, except that Blockland made their square shaped studs before Roblox did (possibly to avoid infringement as well).
- Some people dislike the new square studs, and will make textures that resemble or are the same as the old circular ones.
- Studs are also used in measuring. For example, a Robloxian is 5 studs tall.
- According to a blog post from 2012, 1 meter is equal to 20 Roblox studs, so a stud is 5 centimeters, and a real-life Robloxian (that is 5 studs tall) would be 25 centimeters, about 10 inches tall.
- Sometime in December, an update was made where inserting a brick would no longer result in it being sided with studs on the top.
- ↑ Chandrasekan, Deepak (June 7, 2012). "Testing the Accuracy of ROBLOX Physics with Potato Cannons".