The Loop (Games)
Do you like this video?
- January 6 – Kung Fu Panda 3 event starts.
- January 18 – Roblox releases a concept for their new avatar design. After receiving loads of backlash and hate from numerous Roblox community members and developers, Roblox was forced to head back to the drawing board and create something else.
- Unknown date – Kung Fu Panda 3 event ends.
- February 9 – Roblox comes up with R15: A new avatar design similar to Roblox's current avatar the R6. This version of the character brings more parts and hinges to Roblox's standard 6-part character, thus allowing more parts of the character to be animated.
- February 11 – Zootopia event begins.
- February 17 – Roblox gets a new character look, and many glitches are present on that day such as: no animations, not spawning with packages and hats, spawning as a noob. Those glitches were later fixed.
- February 18 – Beta testing for 'R15' begins.
- February 24 – The ability to use underscores in usernames which was removed in 2007, is re-added again. (Now, users could "steal" old underscore accounts, for example, freez_man was terminated in 2007, and someone signed up with the username freez_man and gained access to the account.)
- February 29 – Kids' Choice Awards 2016 event begins.
- March 9 – The default place for new players is changed, starting at id 113726813 which is for player ImWhite_NotBlack.
- March 11 – The Snowed-In Game Tournament, the first sports-style event, starts.
- March 12 – R15 players are announced in a blog post. The upcoming update had garnered some praise for its bendy limbs, but has also received some controversy, because some players wanted to bring R6 back. Some even suggested to add a feature to switch between R6 and R15.
- March 12 – Kids' Choice Awards 2016 event ends.
- March 12 – Zootopia event ends.
- March 15 – ROBLOX announces that tickets will be removed which made a lot of criticism from the community.
- March 15–16 – The price floor for ROBUX on shirts and pants can be now 5 ROBUX (minimum price).
- March 18 – The Eggventure game is released in beta.
- March 22 – Eggventure 2016 event starts.
- March 24 – Roblox for the Xbox One now lets players play their own games.
- April 1 – Roblox said that they were releasing Roblox on the Sega Genesis but turned out to be an April Fools joke. They also did a joke on the game reviews that they say that if you climb up all the 10000000 stairs then you will get Super Admin on Roblox. Reaching the goal would cause a GUI to pop up and say "APRIL FOOLS!".
- April 4 – Eggventure 2016 event ends.
- April 6 – Roblox celebrates their 10th anniversary.
- April 13 – This is the last day to purchase items with Tickets. Roblox releases the new Team Create system in Roblox Studio, which allows you to work with friends on your game. Also, Team Create is announced via a blog post, which will replace personal servers (PBS).
- April 14 – Tickets are removed from Roblox. Remaining tickets were not converted to Robux.
- April 16 – A bug made by the tickets removal removed the ability to donate Robux by groups. Roblox shut down the payout system temporary until they fixed the bug.
- April 18 – Roblox launched ROBLOX Battle Arena 2016 with sponsoring to the new Captain America: Civil War movie.
- April 19 – Something unknown on Roblox made a bug that made a lot of players disconnect from Roblox games. Roblox fixed the bug and found out that the game servers crashed and only players with strong internet connection could play games.
- April 20 – The players picture has turned into circles.
- April 22 – Roblox is released on Oculus Rift.
- April 25 – Roblox releases the beta script for the new R15 body.
- May 5 – A hat in the catolog, Gentleman's Spring Hat, was sold for 100 tix, three weeks after the tix removal. It was changed 2 days later to 100 Robux, but some people got the hat before it changed to Robux.
- May 6 – ROBLOX Battle Arena 2016 event ends.
- May 10 – New physics properties has been released and as well new physics props.
- May 12 – A glitch had happened that some of your player's friends had black circles. It is unknown how this glitch happened.
- May 13 – The Angry Birds Movie event starts.
- May 14 – Voting polls for Memorial Sale 2016 open. To view the poll use this link: bit.ly/1Osjjcg (You cannot vote on this poll anymore.)
- May 17 – Roblox adds post-processing effects and anti-aliasing. Also, seven new materials for smooth terrain were released: Asphalt, Cobblestone, Ice, Leafy Grass, Limestone, Pavement, and Salt.
- May 18 – As a result of the rapid posting of spam comments, the comments section is removed from all catalog items.
- May 19 – An unknown person bypasses Roblox's ASLR causing lag throughout the site.
- May 23 – Legacy Physics are removed, causing many older games to break
- May 24 – ROBLOX now released their app in the Windows Store.
- May 26 – A message from Roblox was sent to every player informing them that personal servers would be discontinued soon.
- May 27 – The 2016 Memorial Day Sale starts.
- May 31 – The 2016 Memorial Day Sale ends.
- May 31 – Xbox One players are now able to play every game on Roblox.
- June 2 – Around The World event starts.
- June 3 – The Angry Birds Movie event ends.
- June 4–5 – Another unknown person bypasses ROBLOX's ASLR, making people create injectors easily.
- June 6 – A glitch occurred on Roblox avatars where players' legs would become invisible by wearing the Man package right and left legs.
- June 7 – Roblox releases the push notifications feature for Chrome. It automatically sends notifications to players when others send them trades, friend requests, messages, etc. It has to be enabled through Chrome and through the Privacy section in settings.
- June 8 – All Personal Build Servers (PBS), or Personal Servers, are converted to game places, and the option to view PBS servers is removed. Also, five new animations are released: Linear, Cubic, Constant, Elastic, and Bounce.
- June 9 – Players are allowed to upload their own meshes for the first time since 2010, as MeshParts.
- June 10 – The Voltron: Legendary Defender event begins.
- June 16 – The Post, Create and Play event starts. Also, VIP servers have become available for group games.
- June 20 – The Around The World and Voltron: Legendary Defender events end and the ROBLOX Summer Camp 2016 event starts.
- June 22 – The movie theater company Cinemark files a trademark infringement lawsuit against Roblox over an in-game movie theater from Phantom Forces, which features logos from Finding Dory and its Roblox event.
- June 23 – The Voltron: Legendary Defender event restarts.
- June 28 – Players can now change the color of particles using the Color Sequence Editor in Roblox Studio.
- Early July – The ROBLOX Summer Camp 2016 event ends.
- July 11 – The mobile version becomes the number one growing platform on ROBLOX.
- July 12 – Roblox changes the look of guest avatars.
- July 21 – Roblox changes the Terms of Service explicitly stating that alternate accounts to bypass a ban are prohibited
- July 22
- July 27 – Roblox holds a contest for a new studio startup image. The winner will be chosen in late August–early September and will win $500 cash, as well as having their name on the image.
- July 27–28 – New Friend text has been changed, If you friend someone and they accept it, now it just says New Friend.
- July 28 – Roblox Studio testers can now test gamepasses without spending ROBUX.
- July 29 – The Roblox error pages are updated to have 3D instead of 2D images on all three error pages (404, 403, 500).
- August 4 – In-game chat messages now start from the top.
- August 5 – The first ROBLOX Developer Conference is held on Twitch.
- August 7 – The ROBLOX Imagination Event ends.
- August 8 – Roblox receives a DDoS attack. Roblox characters wouldn't show up on forums, ads wouldn't load, and games were disconnected. The website eventually shut down at 1:40 p.m. PDT and went back online at 2:00 p.m. PDT. Also, the 2016 ROBLOX Summer Games event starts.
- August 12 – "Limited user information dating from 2012 and earlier", as ROBLOX describes it, is leaked from a test site. "Certain accounts" are asked to reset their passwords.
- August 18 – Roblox earns a spot on the 35 Annual Inc. 5000 as #2706 in the Consumer Products & Services category.
- August 19 – Old terrain is officially deprecated and is scheduled to be removed on January 1, 2017 on the RBXDev Forums. Also, the GameAvatarType setting is enabled for all users, allowing anyone to use R15 in their game without the need of third party scripts.
- August 22 – The 2016 ROBLOX Summer Games event ends.
- August 27 and 28 – The Endless Summer Cruise is live on Twitch for 12 hours.
- August 29,30 and 31 – Roblox goes down due to DNS issues worldwide at some time before 1:30 a.m. PDT. During that time, the Roblox website domain was removed from the internet, shown here. Some users were able to access the site for a few minutes at a time. The site became more stable around 7:30 a.m. PDT, but many users still had problems accessing Roblox Studio and the website. People have thought of it to be a DDoS attack but it was in fact, DNS issues. Data loss occurred on many games, leaving some players with missing stats.
- September 2 – Roblox adds Developer Console to Mobile, which satisfied many mobile users worldwide as previously, they cannot really check for server problems due to the app not having F9 Developer Console.
- Unknown Date – Roblox changes the price of audio to depend on the length of the audio. This would later be changed back to a flat 100 ROBUX fee.
- September 8 – The ROBLOX High School Fan Club becomes the first group to reach 1 million members. Also, Roblox discontinues support for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
- September 8, 9 – Roblox updates their purchase section, which shows when going to an item to purchase it. Additionally, if users go to a group on mobile, it shows the new mobile group layout.
- September 10 – MeshParts can now use part materials.
- September 15 – Team Create is improved. Blog Post
- September 19 – The Roblox website receives another DDoS attack
- September 26 – Players can now switch between R6 and R15 on the Avatar page. Also, Roblox introduces 2-step verification and users can now upload up to 6 minutes of audio, and the pricing system is changed again.
- September 27 – Constraints are added to Roblox Studio's UI, making it easier to create and use them.
- September 29 – R15 is released to the public.
- October 1 – BLOXtober 2016 countdown begins. It is sponsored by Nerf.
- October 6 – Roblox changes the audio limit back to 2 minutes, and the flat 100 Robux fee is imposed again.
- October 13 – An item with a timer countdown now shows days, hours, and minutes, instead of just days. Example here. The official Roblox shop on Amazon opens
- October 14 – Natural Disaster Survival is the first Roblox game to reach 1 million favorites.
- October 18 – Roblox User Survey starts.
- October 20 – A new template is added named "Village".
- October 21 – Roblox falls victim to the 2016 Dyn cyber attack and the site is down from 12 PM to 5 PM.
- October 27 – Roblox officially removes Build Mode for good. They had announced this in their blog on September 15.
- November 1 – New audio effects and properties are added to Roblox Studio.
- November 5 – A new Roblox update featured a new graphics mode Metal which is accessible through the Roblox Studio's options window.
- November 8 – Roblox Studio tutorials are implemented.
- November 8 – Legends of the Hidden Temple event starts.
- November 10 – Three new Roblox Studio startup backgrounds are added, and they alternate every time users open Studio.
- November 12 – Moana event starts.
- November 14 – Roblox opens up nomination forms for BLOXY Awards 2016.
- November 16 – The create a place button is removed from the Develop page.
- November 17 – ROBLOX implements R15 scaling.
- November 22 – The create a place button has been added back to the Develop page, and notifications are added. Also, the BLOXY Awards 2016 finalist list is opened and people can nominate for their favorite finalist.
- November 22 – Legends of the Hidden Temple event ends.
- November 23 – Moana event ends.
- November 25 – Face Accessories are released, the first face accessory is the Shinestone Shades: Ruby Radiance. Also, a guest chat is added back.
- November 30 – Hats are now called Accessories. Accessories are broken down into various categories, such as hair, shoulder item, hat, and back item.
- December 1 – Roblox announces on the blog that there will be new payment options using the Developer Exchange (DevEx) Program.
- December ?? - There was a exploit where people could create accounts with other people's names, put dashes in it, and even put special characters in the usernames. It got patched, and accounts that were created using an exploit got terminated, and name resetted.
- December 2 – Comments are removed from games, and the Roblox blog announces they will release 3 free gifts, which causes outrage and criticism from the community.
- December 5 – Roblox chat messages now start from the top with new supported languages.
- December 6 – A glitch occurs where a player can abuse the sign-up page to make an account with the same name, this caused player names such as 1dev2, PlatinumFalls, and Roblox being made. The graphics mode, metal, is announced that it is based on Apple's 3D Graphics API and also a blog post about this can be read here.
- December 8 –ROBLOX Universe event starts.
- December 8, 9 – A glitch occurs where a player can't chat in game.
- December 13 – Roblox Avatar Editor is now available for iOS and Android.
- December 17 –ROBLOX Universe event ends.
- December 29 – Roblox says on Twitter that during the DevEx program, they gave over 7M+ to developers.
- December 31 – voting for the BLOXY Awards 2016 closes.
- Unknown date – New players have a curated front page with a grid of "Recommended" games, and other sections show the first few games until the player hits "See All".
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.