The Loop (Games)
Do you like this video?
Warning: This article contains information that may not be suitable for younger readers.
- January 1 – Roblox discontinues voxel terrain and its support, as announced here. Also, the nomination of finalists for the BLOXY Awards 2016 close. PlaceRebuilder's Reason 2 Die also closes, making it one of the most visited places to be closed down.
- January 10 – Roblox changes its logo and also the signup page, causing criticism by the Roblox community. Also, Roblox releases new items with the description as "Get this exclusive item when you redeem a code from a ROBLOX toy – coming soon to retail stores! Check out www.roblox.com/toys to learn more..", hinting at the future release of the Roblox Toys items. The updated search feature now uses the filter and searches everything with the words if it's more than 1 word in the search term.
- January 16 – The health bar has been changed and the health bar above the name tag disappears when the player has full health, and it will appear when the player gets damaged. Roblox takes off-sale many of the older heads except for Roundy, Trim and released three new heads, Chiseled, Paragon, and Strong Jaw. Two new faces (Friendly Smile, and Winning Smile) were released, despite criticism from the community.
- January 18 – Roblox Medieval Battle event starts.
- January 19 – Animations packs for R15 are released, these being Zombie, Stylish, Superhero, Robot, and Levitation.
- January 23 – Roblox changes the user search page, removing the date of the player last seen and adding an "Add Friend" option for the player and showing their primary group. However, it was changed back to the old user search page later.
- January 31 – Roblox Medieval Battle event ends.
- February 1 – Roblox now requires FilteringEnabled on games for under 13 users to search for games. Under 13 users can still play non-filtering enabled games but cannot find them using the search tool. However non-filtering enabled games can still be searched for in search engines.
- February 1 – The Brick and Wood Planks materials get a revamp to seem more realistic.
- February 4 – Dued1 is the first user to hit 300 million place visits.
- February 15 – The ROBLOX 2017 Winter Games event begins. Also, the health bar is modified again making the health bar in the area where the username shows disappear when the player has full health and appears when the player loses health. An article was released claiming that some children have received "sickening" messages on Roblox.
- February 17 – Robux purchases might be delayed. Users <13 can't say numbers anymore.They included this that they will be working on to be able to allow trusted <13 to say numbers. They also made changes to Chat filtering API.
- February 22 – Roblox announces an update for the avatar, which can be found here.
- February 25 – Roblox adds an "Account: Over/Under 13 yrs" message to the top right corner of the website to show users the age they have selected for their account. For example, if a user puts "2000" as their birth year, it will show "Account: Over 13 yrs", but if they put 2008, it will be "Account: Under 13 yrs". PIN numbers are released that allow players or parents of players to set a unique pin that must be entered when any account details, such as passwords, are changed.
- February 28 – The ROBLOX 2017 Winter Games event ends.
- February 28 – Kids’ Choice Awards 2017 event begins.
- March 8 – Innovation Tycoon event begins.
- March 11 – Kids' Kids’ Choice Awards 2017 event ends.
- March 16 –The UI on a game page changes. Also, Smurfs: The Lost Village event begins. A new Roblox (client and studio) update features the seven new graphics modes
- March 17 – ROBLOX Easter Egg Hunt 2017 eggs are teased.
- March 21 –Innovation Tycoon event ends.
- Maybe around March 21-25 – ROBLOX updates the standing animation on the R15.
- March 25 – Roblox removes the tilted "O" from the studs.
- April 1 – No special April Fools event is held by Roblox, but many game creators update their games with thumbnails and buildings. However, InceptionTime posts a prank on Twitter saying that the Roblox Easter Egg Hunt 2017 has opened early. It is a link to a game that plays rickroll music and has the characters standing on an orange. The tweet can be found here (currently redirects to blog.roblox.com).
- April 3 – Roblox moves many settings from places to games, including the active setting. But it is shortly changed back.
- April 4 – The ROBLOX Easter Egg Hunt 2017 event begins.
- April 5 – The Egg Hunt 2017: The Lost Eggs event gets a lot of glitches, causing many things to not work. This includes the portals to different worlds.
- April 10 – Smurfs: The Lost Village event ends.
- April 11 – Roblox hosts a challenge wherein players will submit their games to the Roblox Tournaments. Also, the Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 event begins.
- April 12 – Roblox updates their catalog UI.
- April 16 – The starter place is changed to a normal baseplate. Also, all searching services (Catalog, Library, Studio Toolbox, and Game Search) are suspended for 4 days after a DDoS attack the previous day as they implement the new Catalog UI, causing outrage and panic from many users.
- April 18 – The Roblox "Activate game" feature is removed and placed in the games tab.
- April 19 – The catalog page is given a major revamp, with five items being on top of the catalog instead of four as well as enlarging the buttons of the items and item type menu. The catalog shows when the item was last updated, its creator, number of favorites when you hover over it now. However, it is later reverted to the previous version.
- April 21 – Asimo3089 and Badcc's Jailbreak officially enters beta and is released to the public. It has since stood the test of time and is still on the front page today.
- April 23 – Roblox tweaks taking photos via the print screen button. It no longer pauses the game and open a new window that you need to close—instead, you get a notification in the bottom right corner.
- April 24 – The ROBLOX Easter Egg Hunt 2017 event ends.
- April 28 and 29 – Roblox adds a new UI editor in Roblox Studio.
- May 1
- The forums are raided by a Twitch user named QuackityHQ. He commands his fans to raid the Roblox forum in an act of revenge against ROBLOX moderators for IP banning him (he bypassed the IP ban via Rabb.it proxy). Players speculate that mass raids by people like QuackityHQ were a contributing factor to the forums being closed later that year.
- As a result of the forum raid, Roblox implements an age limit for the forums. Players must have been playing on ROBLOX for 2 years to be able to post. This causes outrage from newer users.
- May 3 – Roblox removes the 2-year limit, allowing all users to post on the forums once more.
- May 10 – Choir is added to Roblox.
- May 12
- A report flag button is added in the player list section of the Game Menu. It allows players to report a player directly when they press Esc and click the button. When clicked, it will transfer them to that player they want to report.
- The new Client Menu when players press the hamburger menu brings out a new layout to the Settings and Report tab.
- May 15
- May 17 – The Avatar Page update, announced in a February 22 blog post, takes effect. Though the blog post initially warned that players would be unable to have different colored body parts, the update allowed users to change colors for individual body parts via the Advanced menu.
- May 19 – Roblox adds Collision Groups in ROBLOX Studio.
- May 24 – The Trail effect is released in Roblox Studio for PC users only.
- May 26 – The Memorial Day Sale 2017 starts.
- May 28 – The Buried Treasure event ends.
- May 29 – The Memorial Day Sale 2017 ends.
- June 1 – The ROBLOX Heroes event begins.
- June 2 – The Chat & Party on the ROBLOX website has been updated
- June 4 – The forums are raided again by QuackityHQ. This results in Roblox closing the forums to everyone. '
- June 6 – Roblox reverts the Concrete texture.
- June 15 – The ROBLOX Heroes event ends somewhere between 7:00 AM PT and 8:00 AM PT.
- June 16 – Roblox comes up with a new update in which if a user's avatar has no clothes, it is set with a default set of clothes. It is presumed this update came about due to concerns of players using the nude body colors to act out nudity and other sexual acts.
- June 21
- The Catalog gets a brand-new look before being reverted
- Roblox makes Color3 no longer match to the nearest Color2 color. Color3 now allows HTML colors.
- Roblox reduces the part size limit to 0.05.
- June 22
- The loading screen is revamped with a different thumbnail for a short period of time, this time instead of "Loading...", the ROBLOX icon replaces it. The ROBLOX icon spins around until loading is finished. Also, the block-looking texture is removed with a plain black texture instead. The thumbnail of the game is also shown. It was later removed.
- The new catalog layout is finally released to the majority of users, after being revamped three times with changes to the appearance, such as having five items per row instead of six and the Category section using expand menus instead of pop-up menus.
- Roblox introduces Portrait Mode for mobile devices as well as a new, dynamic thumbstick. Not all games on the mobile app support it yet, for now, it's just two games that use it: Natural Disaster Survival and MeepCity.
- June 26 – All parts used in Roblox Studio now fully support Color3, which allows builders to color parts to a color not part of the default part colors without using scripts.
- June 27
- The ROBLOX 2017 Summer Games event starts.
- Whenever someone has an idle of an animation pack, they will have a pose that still stares at the user, except for zombie which stares diagonally up.
- June 29 – Roblox officially states that they have released trail effect. The trail effect was added on May 24 but was finished by this date.
- July 10 – ROBLOX shuts down for a few hours and it is unknown why.
- July 11 – The ROBLOX 2017 Summer Games event ends.
- July 12 – ROBLOX adds emoji support for mobile users. For PC users, emoji support would be shipped later.
- July 13 – To avoid spam bots, Servers are now Servers My Friends Are In, which it will see a user's friends playing in the game instead of all servers in one whole game. The owner of a place can still see all servers in one game. Lots of players criticized this update. The spambots continued spamming comment sections and messages of players who let everybody message them.
- July 14 – A message was sent out of all users saying that the forums will be "Updated" by rolling the existing forums into five different categories. This caused outrage in the forums and ROBLOX attempted to delete as many messages as possible.
- July 19
- The ability to move around with the WASD keys was removed temporarily for unknown reasons, causing outrage in the forums.
- An update released during this day patched several physics bugs, mostly involving using other player's momentum.
- July 20 – Roblox re-implemented the ability to move around with the WASD keys.
- July 22
- The ROBLOX Developers Conference 2017 starts. Hence, Roblox's lighting "prototype" was released, showing major changes.
- Also speaking at the conference, Roblox unveiled a new anthropomorphic avatar, and it received a lot of hate for being creepy and also being called an ideal avatar for "online daters."
- July 24 – The loading screen is revamped with a different thumbnail again with the ROBLOX icon spinning around on the bottom right and the game's icon and title in the middle. This was the same as the June 22nd update version.
- July 26–27 – Roblox undergoes maintenance at 12:45 EST.
- July 27 – The forums were updated so that only Roblox News and Discussion, Let's Make a Deal, Clans and Guilds, Help, Scripters, and Game Design remain. Universe sponsored by DreamWorks: Voltron: Legendary Defender has started.
- July 31 – Experimental Mode gets an update.
- August 5 – The RDC UK ROBLOX Tournament, announced on August 2, is held.
- August 10 – The Voltron Universe event ends.
- August 11
- All packages share the R15 pose.
- Client 0.302.0.14152 introduced an update that at the Help menu under the hamburger menu in the client, on the bottom one can see the server and client version. Starting with this client version, Roblox integrated 64-bit support especially for the Mac platform in preparation for Apple's 64-bit only platform. On the other hand, the Windows platform remained their clients on 32-bit due to mixed users using 32-bit versions of Windows, therefore remained compatibility.
- August 13- Jailbreak (See April 21st) Officially leaves beta on this day.
- August 15 – The ROBLOX Imagination event (2017) begins.
- August 16 – Client 0.303.0.144032 introduced an update that the overall typeface of the client is changed, the changes were noticeable by the playerlist, performance stats, diagnostics panel, and the menu. The new typeface is unknown, but it's smoother than Source Sans Pro.
- August 17 – Users now need to enter their date of birth before entering any other information when signing up.
- August 21 or 22 – Client 0.304.0.145042 added the words "Joining server" and are below the game title in the loading screen while a place loads, indicating that a player is about to join the game. Also, the Server Version reflects on the client version, depending on when the server started in which client version.
- August 23 – ROBLOX went on maintenance from 11:00 AM to 12:40 PM EST. ROBLOX also now has 1 billion games. The first person to get a 10-digit ID game was yotyn's Place.
- August 28 – The ROBLOX Imagination Event (2017) ends.
- September 1 – The Labor Day 2017 begins.
- September 3 – The Labor Day 2017 ends.
- September 5 – The DuckTales event begins.
- September 7 – ROBLOX Sports event begins.
- September 12 – All places hosted on the ROBLOX account become inactive.
- September 20 - ROBLOX Sports event ends.
- September 20 or 21 – ROBLOX changes their friends, followers, following and friend requests on games with the user's head, some of the user's torso, the user's neck and the user's shoulders. It used to be the whole user.
- September 24 – Players are now allowed to chat in any group that he/she are not in. Also, the infection script has been added to Roblox Studio. When it does a Roblox remix song will play.
- September 26 – The Spider-Man Homecoming Event begins.
- September 27 – Roblox changes their words "joining server," "server found, loading," and "requesting server" to a lighter font and the game name now has the bold font.
- September 28 – Roblox raises activated place limit to 200 for all users during this time.
- October 1 – An unknown user abused a VPN to share Child Pornography, which are illegal photos of children doing sexual acts, on the forums and manipulated people into clicking the links to them. This worried the users who saw them. This was solved by moderators deleting the posts linking to the website and terminating the users who posted them.
- October 3
- Nightmare Before Bloxtober, sponsored by Thor: Ragnarok, the event begins.
- Guest Mode is removed from ROBLOX PC/Mac, Phone/Tablet and Xbox One, leading protests on the forums to occur. However, it is still available on the mobile version of the game.
- October 4
- The DuckTales event ends. Grand prizes start to be handed out.
- The ROBLOX team changes a few popular game thumbnails to feature Robbie Rotten to honor the 3rd year of the popular song "We are Number One".
- October 13 – Roblox Studio gets updated when users first go on. The visual appearance now looks different. While ROBLOX was updating ROBLOX Studio, some people could not access Studio, because it would open and close until they close it altogether.
- October 16 – Nightmare Before Bloxtober event ends.
- October 18 – Hallow's Eve 2017 event begins.
- October 23 – The Spider-Man Homecoming Event ends.
- October 26 – In order to battle clickbait games, ROBLOX removes the genre list on the games page, Causing outrage in the forums.
- October 30 – The Coco event begins.
- October 31
- November 1 – Roblox returns the old server list, renamed as "Other servers". Along with this, clicking on a user's profile picture no longer leads to their profile, unless they are the users' friend.
- November 3
- The front page gets shortened so that official event advertisements can fit in.
- The loading screen for mobile devices is changed.
- November 4
- Roblox re-adds guests by mistake. It was removed again one day later.
- November 6 – A plus button is added so it can be easier to insert a certain class in ROBLOX Studio.
- November 8 – Beams were added to Roblox Studio, but were not yet enabled.
- November 9 – Roblox introduces a new "Path Finding" system/Navigation mesh for Studio.
- November 15 – The BLOXgiving 2017 Event begins.
- Unknown date – The front page is updated with a new section for games that are popular in the user's country.
- November 16 – The new CSG system is made default to all players, although it has been around for a while now.
- November 20 – Beams are enabled.
- November 24 – The ROBLOX Black Friday Sale 2017 starts.
- November 27 – The Coco ends, five days after its originally-scheduled date.
- November 28
- November 29 – Constraints button is added on Roblox Studio in between Collisions and Join Button.
- November 30 – The Space Battle event begins.
- December 4 – Roblox announces that they will be removing the forums. On the Developer Forum, it is officially confirmed that the forums will be removed, due to them not providing a positive environment, getting raided, and them being abused. The forums are all locked and become read-only.
- December 6 – Roblox releases a new material: Glass.
- December 7 - Tremity was terminated due to scams.
- December 12 – The forums are removed from the website a day after its scheduled date. The Forums icon is also removed from the menu bar on the left side, causing outrage within the community. The URL to the forums now redirects to this page. 
- This leads to multiple users creating "RoForums" groups and advertising them, essentially creating a "new forum."
- December 15 – Avatars body tab has been updated into categories.
- December 17 – The Space Battle event ends. Grand prizes are handed out on December 19.
- Inverse Kinematic Drag tools are released.
- December 18 – The Roblox Holiday 2017 event begins.
- ↑ https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2872376/horrified-dad-found-sick-messages-from-paedo-predator-in-his-eight-year-old-sons-roblox-ipad-game/
- ↑ https://blog.roblox.com/2017/05/introducing-collision-groups/
- ↑ Spotco & Seranok (June 26, 2017). "More Part Colors Are Now Available!".
- ↑ https://blog.roblox.com/2017/06/behold-trail-effects/
- ↑ Post by CloneTrooper1019 stating the reason (revise this to use an actual format)
- ↑ https://web.roblox.com/games/1000000000/yotyns-Place
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/removal-of-builders-club-only-games/58852
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/upcoming-changes-to-the-public-roblox-forum/63528
- ↑ http://archive.is/WpzcM
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.