User Generated Content (UGC for short) is a catalog feature that allows users to publish their own items and sell them. These unique items can be viewed under the Community Creations category. The feature was initially announced at RDC 2015, but its confirmation was declared at RDC 2019. It released on August 15, 2019 to certified users on the site. Before its release, Roblox had confirmed that this feature will only be allowed to certain users at first, many had suspected that popular Roblox content creators in the official Roblox Video Stars Program will have access to it, although that is not the case.
Roblox has reached out to reveal that they will sometime in the future depend on content created by eligible users rather than prioritizing assets made by the official ROBLOX account, which is managed by admins to publish items as default.
Whenever a user publishes an accessory, they can input customized descriptions, Robux price, genres, and much more. However, releasing limited unique items and making existing items limited is still restricted to ROBLOX. Although, Roblox states they want to move in a direction where creators can publish their own limited items to sell to other users, their only issue with this concept is that there are a very minimal amount of eligible creators and in part of fact that they have been lacking in limited releases currently.
On October 8, 2019, Roblox announced that UGC hairs have been officially released.
On December 6, 2019, it was revealed that star creators will be given the ability to create User Generated Content items per TheMeganPlays' tweet. Some select star creators are being given the ability to create an item early to test the feature. Roblox catalog managers originally let MeganPlays create an item to test the feature, but her item was quickly turned into a blank item uploaded by the ROBLOX account. A copy of the item was later re-uploaded onto the catalog the afternoon that the original was deleted, and is currently still purchasable to this day.
List of UGC items
Click "Expand" to show the list of UGC items.
Currently, there are only 18 known creators who are allowed to upload their own creations. Those selected users are:
There are also 4 selected accounts that were/are used for testing. These are:
Additionally, there are only three Roblox Video Stars who have been selected to upload a creation of their own:
The UGC feature has mostly been criticized due to potential copies of pre-existing catalog items by ROBLOX or unoriginal ideas, such as the various hats by tarabyte (BiggestHead, Illuminati, Despacito Spider, and Triple Headstack) and the antler hats by Erythia.
It has more notably been criticized by the trading community for fears of limited and limited unique items dropping in value. This originally began when the Downtown Denizen Fedora was uploaded by WhoToTrus, which had been claimed by a portion of the community to be a ripoff of The Classic ROBLOX Fedora despite the Downtown Denizen Fedora using a higher quality mesh and texture than the classic fedora.
- In order to properly create User Generated Content on Roblox, users would need to practice the many skills required to form re-textures of the many hats, gears, and faces present on the catalog. This can be efficiently done by using a computer graphics software tool named Blender which is the most common program used to create customized items. Likewise, creators need to have a clear understanding of applying a texture to a mesh.
- Due to the current interface, sometimes hats will go off-sale when being updated.
- Creators cannot currently add scripts and particles to their assets.
- Creators had/have to sign a "Non Disclosure Agreement" (NDA) to create hats.
- Premium is required to upload hats, and losing it will cause all pre-existing hats to go off-sale.
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/thoughts-on-rdcs-ugc-announcement/327646
- ↑ https://devforum.roblox.com/t/ugc-catalog-is-now-live/331405
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MeganPlays/status/1203167916541263872
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MeganPlays/status/1202742288239267841
- ↑ Catalog:MeganPlays Pink Pom-Poms
- ↑ Catalog:MeganPlays Pink Pom-Poms (original)