VIP servers are servers used for private uses and are sometimes called private servers. They can be bought with Robux and then created. VIP servers may appear as clans in the Clans section while viewing game leaderboards. VIP servers have the option of being free during a June 12, 2020 update.
Making VIP servers
If a developer has enabled VIP servers on their place, then players can create VIP Servers for their place. Players will spend the chosen amount of Robux and then can choose a name, users allowed and link to VIP server, and if friends are allowed to join. Then, the VIP server can be seen on the servers tab. If the VIP server creator shuts down the VIP server or the developer disables VIP servers, then the server becomes unplayable.
- When attempting to join a friend that is in a VIP server you do not have access to, you will be kicked. This has caused confusion among many players attempting to join and not knowing why they can't get in their friend's game.
- When you shut down the server, players may not be instantly kicked.
- Mobile players cannot join VIP servers through invite links, and instead have to rely on the server owner specifically inviting them through the configuration settings.
Use of VIP servers
VIP servers are purchased and used for a multitude of reasons. Such reasons may include;
- Regular players may use VIP servers for farming an in-game currency or item without the hassle of dealing with other players, in a clean isolated environment. It is increasingly common for RPG games and prison games to have players purchase VIP servers for easy farming.
- YouTubers also frequently own VIP servers, to make recording easier and prevent players from streamsniping them. They may also open VIP servers to be a public invite link, so fans of the YouTuber can join and play with other fans.
- Developers may own a VIP server in their own game to make testing new features of their game easier.
- Exploiters may also use VIP servers to automatically farm in games, without the worry of non-friends reporting them for exploiting.
- VIP servers are also sometimes purchased simply for privacy reasons. Players may wish to play in a game with only their friends, and no randoms.
With VIP servers being free in some games, they don't need to be purchased.